BIND 9.6 Flaw - CNAME vs. A Record in MX Records are NOT "Illegal"

Al Stu Al_Stu at Verizon.net
Tue Jan 27 01:05:02 UTC 2009

How about these two?

> nullmx.domainmanager.com
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    mta.dewile.net
Address:  69.59.189.80
Aliases:  nullmx.domainmanager.com

> smtp.secureserver.net
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    smtp.where.secureserver.net
Address:  208.109.80.149
Aliases:  smtp.secureserver.net

There are two reasons it does not blow up in peoples face.  1) If it is in
the CNAME RR points to an A record in the same zone, both the A record and
the CNAME record are returned, thus meeting the A record requirement.  2)
SMTP servers are required to accept an alias and look it up.  Thus there is
no need for this.

And no it does not matter if there are multiple MX records with different
preferences values.