Disable cache in bind 9.6

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Tue Jan 27 00:16:00 UTC 2009

At Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:12:11 +0300,
Dmitry Rybin <kirgudu at corbina.net> wrote:

> > 	+50 views of zone data + memory for 100000 clients + ....
> >
> > 	You have a 32bit build which will give a maximum of 2G data.
> >
> > 	You are just trying to cram too much into too small a place.
>
> OK. May be you can give any recomendation?

As Mark said, having 50 views, each of which contains non-negligible
amount of cache, is an excessive condition.  Also, since the matching
view is identified by linear search for every query, it may also
impact your query processing performance.  So, you'd primarily
consider reducing the number of views anyway.

Still, I noticed cache management may not work well (even with a
single view) especially when it's multi-threaded and configured with a
small max-cache-size such as 16MB.  (It's ironical that using a small
max-cache-size could hinder cache cleaning, resulting in larger memory
footprints).  I'm developing a fix to this problem.  Can you try the
patch available at:
http://www.jinmei.org/patch/bind9-lrucache.diff
(should be cleanly applicable to 9.6).
and let me know if it mitigates the problem?

Other recommendations:
- I previously suggested using a separate cache-only view and forward
  all recursive queries to that view.  Have you tried that?  If you
  have, didn't it work as I hoped?
- BIND 9.7 will have a new option "attach-cache" exactly for such an
  extraordinary operational environment as yours: it allows multiple
  views to share a single cache to save memory.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.