reverse lookup to CNAME

John Bond john.r.bond at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 09:21:00 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas
<uhlar at fantomas.sk> wrote:

>>  When i tried this host did not resolve
>> the cname.  i.e a host 1.1.1.1 returned metis.local.  it did not know
>> to resolve metis.local as bob....
>
> the host 1.1.1.1 returned that 1.1.1.1.in-addr.arpa is a CNAME to
> metis.local. It's not reverse record, the PTR is, and metis.local has no
> PTR. Even if it did, the PTR should be on 1.1.1.1.in-addr.arpa, you are
> putting one more unnecessary step into resolution.

Ok thanks for the response.  Looks like my best bet is to stick with
the following.

zone for local
bob-www-sol-l01     IN           A          1.1.1.1
metis                    IN           CNAME bob-www-sol-l01

zone for 1.1.1
1                         IN            PTR     bob-www-sol-l01.local

cheers