BIND 9.6 Flaw - CNAME vs. A Record in MX Records are NOT "Illegal"

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sun Jan 25 23:24:41 UTC 2009

	MX records are supposed to be pointed to the name the mail
	exhanger knows itself as.  This will correspond to a A
	record.  If I could work out a way to determine which A
	records don't correspond to the name by which the mail
	exchanger knows itself as I'd also have named issue a warning
	for such A records.  Unfortunately there isn't a way to
	make such a determination.

	When a CNAME is used you configuration errors reported from
	MTA's when they try to send email to themselves.  This still
	happens today.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC