reverse lookup to CNAME

John Bond john.r.bond at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 17:59:17 UTC 2009

Hello All,

Sorry for the bad subject but i wasn't really sure how i could best
describe my circumstances.  I would like to ask anyone out there if
something im proposing to implment is incorrect or just plain stupid.
Ok so the situation is that we have one set of developers who like to
call there boxes after the names of various moons and we have a
services team who insist all boxes follow a strict naming convention.
I therefore told the devs we would simply set up CNAME's tor them.
however they are still not happy.  the problem they have now is that
our service desk phone them and say we are having a problem with
bob-www-sol-l01 and the devs have now idea what they are talking
about.  In an effort to resolve this i would like a way so that no
mater which name  you get you can get the other name.

My idea was to create records like the following

zone for .local

bob-www-sol-l01     IN           A          1.1.1.1
metis                    IN           CNAME bob-www-sol-l01

zone for 1.1.1

1                         IN           CNAME  metis.local.

so if you look up metis you would see that it was a CNAME to
bob-www-sol-l01.  And if you looked up bob-www-sol-l01 then the IP
address it you would get a CNAME entry to metis which also points to
bob-www-sol-l01.  Setting things up like this would allow me to give
something which goes a small way to makeing everyone happy.  I have
tested it and it seems to work; however it just looks wrong to me.
And im sure ill have problems if any of these are mail servers.  Does
anyone have any comments, pointers or advice.  anything would be
appreciated and i do still have the option of telling them its not
possible so if it is a bad idea please let me know.

Thanks