dig for domain registration

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Jan 23 10:01:06 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 01:16:00PM -0800,
 Scott Haneda <talklists at newgeo.com> wrote
 a message of 18 lines which said:

> If I do `dig NS example.com` and grep out my NS, does that suffice
> for making sure my primary and secondary are listed?

It depends on the TLD policy. For ".com", as far as I know, there is
no reservation: if a domain is registered, it is published in the DNS
so your test with dig is sound. For ".fr", in March, we will start to
allow reservation (a domain will be registered without being
published in the DNS) so a similar test will not work.