rndc halt -p behavior

Rich Goodson rgoodson at gronkulator.com
Thu Jan 22 03:02:19 UTC 2009

I think that the word "immediately" needs to stay, as that's what
differentiates "halt" from "stop".

The documentation in its current form seems to imply that named
returns a signal to rndc as it's exiting.

Perhaps even a simple change such as:
"If -p is specified named’s process id is returned when named begins
its shutdown process. This gives an external process a way to
determine when named had completed halting via the 'wait' shell built-
in or some other method."

And here is where we realize why I don't make my living as a technical
writer.

   -rich