rndc halt -p behavior

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jan 22 02:08:20 UTC 2009

In article <gl8hdv$228h$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "Jeremy C. Reed" <Jeremy_Reed at isc.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Rich Goodson wrote:
>
> > And I'm expected to know this, how?  (incidentally, I added a 'wait'
> > statement to my script after I discovered this behavior).  This behavior
> > does not appear to be what the documentation describes, is all I'm
> > trying to say.
>
> Just to clarify the documentation part:
>
> 	Stop the server immediately.
>
> Maybe we should just remove the "immediately" part.
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Nothing happens instantaneously.  This just tells it to stop
immediately, but it still takes time for it to obey the command.
Consider the analogy: if I call you and tell you to come to my house
immediately, it will take you a few seconds to get to your car, then
some number of minutes to drive here.

The documentation even says that the purpose of returning the PID is so
that you can tell when the process has actually gone away.  What would
be the point if the command didn't returning until the process had
exited?

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA