bind cname for corporate web

Ben Croswell ben.croswell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 19:12:00 UTC 2009

This is not possible.  It is against RFC, and BIND enforces it, to have
CNAME and any other data at the same branch of the DNS tree.
In this case you are trying to put a CNAME at the second level domain
example.com.  However example.com also has an SOA record, several NS
records, and possibly MX records.

You will need to make example.com an A record or use www.example.com IN
CNAME someother.site.com.

--