bind cname for corporate web

David Forrest drf at maplepark.com
Sun Jan 18 18:00:44 UTC 2009

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009, Dhaval Thakar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using bind 9.6.0.
>
> I want to configure cname for corporate web (example.com).
> When I mention following my company site opens without sub domain. e.g
> example.com I dont need to mention www.example.com.
>
> @  IN  A  x.x.x.x
>
> I have two ISP with radware link proof. Radware device has its own dns e.g
> abc.com
> I have web record on link proof e.g www.abc.com (ip x.x.x.1 & y.y.y.1)
>
> Now when I am trying to configure following my domain doesn't resolve.
> @  IN  CNAME www.abc.com.
> OR
> example.com.  IN  CNAME  www.abc.com.
>
> Kindly guide me to create example.com aliased to www.abc.com
>
> Thanks & Regards

I have the same set up desires but did NOT want my mail or other servers
sent to www.maplepark.com.  I use a RR like this:

www     IN      A       64.216.205.121

in my authoritative NS

A $ host www.maplepark.com then gets:
www.maplepark.com has address 64.216.205.121

and a $ host maplepark.com gets:
maplepark.com has address 64.216.205.121
maplepark.com mail is handled by 50 mx3.dnsmadeeasy.com.
maplepark.com mail is handled by 20 maplepark.com.
maplepark.com mail is handled by 30 mx1.dnsmadeeasy.com.
maplepark.com mail is handled by 40 mx2.dnsmadeeasy.com.

--
David Forrest
Maple Park Development Corporation  http://www.maplepark.com