Multiple PTR records

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri Jan 16 20:03:46 UTC 2009

> > I have seen mail bounced because of a
> > mismatch between SMTP greeting name and PTR record name. It's not as
> > common as the simple "is there any PTR record" check, but it does
> > happen.
>
> - it's clear violation of RFC 5321 (and former 2821, 821) - server MUST NOT
>   reject connection because of that.

In today's spam-filled environment, a "MUST NOT" from RFC 5321 probably
rates considerably lower than reducing the total amount of spam. So
*if* a postmaster finds out that rejecting mail due to such a mismatch
indeed reduces the spam level for his users - he'll probably do it. He
may not even have any idea what the RFC says...

All I'm saying is - don't expect the RFCs to have the force of law.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no