DNS spoofing

Gregory Hicks ghicks at hicks-net.net
Fri Jan 16 20:02:22 UTC 2009

> Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 10:47:27 -0800
> Subject: Re: DNS spoofing
> From: Josh Kuo <josh.kuo at gmail.com>
> To: Ben Croswell <ben.croswell at gmail.com>
> Cc: bind-users at lists.isc.org
>
> Oops, I missed that part. Sorry, yes, as Ben pointed out, my proposed
> solution will take over *ALL* records in somedomain.com, anything you
> don't list in your somedomain.com will NOT be resolved.

BUT!...  If the NAME of the zone to be spoofed is

zone "HOST.spoofed.zone" IN {
    type master;
    file "db.HOST.spoofed.zone"
    allow-update...
}

And "db.HOST.spoofed.zone" contains: (Of course, you can put anything
in here that you fits your installation...)

@   IN  SOA metis.example.net. root.metis.example.net. (
        20041217   ; serial number
        300        ; refresh
        600        ; retry
        6300       ; expire
        300      ) ; minimum TTL

;
;  Zone NS records
;

@      IN NS metis.example.net.

;
;  Zone records
;

@      IN  A       127.0.0.1

Then the ONLY host to be resolved will be $HOST.  Anything else falls
through to the original zone.

This solution only takes over ONE (1) host record in the zone.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
                                        | Direct:   408.569.7928

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
stand ready to do violence on their behalf -- George Orwell

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.  -- Thomas Jefferson