Unable to perform nslookup of local domains

Mark A. Moore mmoore at osmre.gov
Fri Jan 16 17:33:27 UTC 2009

We are having a problem doing an nslookup locally from our BIND DNS
Servers (Master & Secondary) for our own domains.  However we can run
nslookup on other domains (ie yahoo, google) with no problems.  Even if
we stop iptables we still get the same error. We see no errors when BIND
starts. Below is the command output.  Does this have anything to do with
/etc/hosts or /etc/resolv.conf files? We've verified permissions on the
directory/files.

nslookup www.osmre.gov

;; Got SERVFAIL reply from 192.243.130.42, trying next server

Server:         192.243.160.18

Address:        192.243.160.18#53

** server can't find www.osmre.gov: SERVFAIL

Thanks for any help provided.