Operators, how do you handle EDNS?

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Wed Jan 14 01:00:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 04:35:46PM -0800, Mark Andrews wrote:
> 	The number of nameservers that fail to respond to EDNS
> 	queries is miniscule.  The majority of nameservers on the
> 	net actually talk EDNS.
>
> 	I suggest that you re-analyse the failures to determine
> 	their true causes.
>
> 	Mark

I'd thought we'd ruled this out, but testing again from an OOB server
confirms what you're saying.

Will definitely reinvestigate.

Initially I am getting these in response to my dig queries:

# dig @130.76.96.65 boeing.com soa +dnssec +norec
;; Warning: ID mismatch: expected ID 1582, got 13152
;; Warning: ID mismatch: expected ID 1582, got 13152
;; Warning: ID mismatch: expected ID 1582, got 13152

; <<>> DiG 9.3.5-P2 <<>> @130.76.96.65 boeing.com soa +dnssec +norec
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd

I guess our firewall could be tinkering with the request ID's?  Perhaps
as a result of dnssec being on... hmm.