Establishing a backup primary-master

Baird, Josh jbaird at follett.com
Wed Jan 14 00:40:35 UTC 2009

I am in the process of developing a DR (disaster recovery) plan for my primary masters.  Could someone please confirm (or correct me) that a second server in the "masters {}" statement of a slave zone will only be used in the event that the first master cannot be reached?  Example:

zone "example.com"{
  type slave;
  masters {
    1.1.1.1; // primary-master
     2.2.2.2; // primary-master backup
  }

I only want 2.2.2.2 to be used when 1.1.1.1 is not available.

I plan on writing a script to add the primary-master backup's IP address to the masters statement of all slave zones as well as replacing "type: slave;" with "type: master;" and removing the masters {} statement from the primary-master backup zones (which are currently slave zones) which will become master zones in the event of a failure.

All servers are running the most current EL5 BIND package.

Any input or suggestions?

Thanks!

Josh Baird