Named goes deaf

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Fri Jan 9 17:38:20 UTC 2009

On Jan 9, 2009, at 3:14 AM, Scott Haneda wrote:
> It is getting important to know if you are on Mac OS X, if you are,
> this may have been solved, and somehow, I overlooked it.
>
> It appears launcd, the cron replacement tool in OS X, can start
> named before the network interfaces come up. I am not sure.

When this problem occurs, it affects all of named's ports, not just
the TCP port. Also, Apple's version of BIND is not built from the
stock source code; they have modified it to request that the kernel
send a SIGHUP whenever the network configuration changes, to work
around this very problem.

Unfortunately, their solution requires that named run as root. The
wrapper script you posted was written as a different way to solve the
same issue, and it does not rely on named running as root. It just
waits for a network interface other than the loopback interface to be
configured before starting named.

We have seen named's TCP port go deaf over time on Mac OS X, without
any reboot in between. We have not been able to find a reason, but it
may be that if the port is inactive for a long period of time,
something may close or block it.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice