Conflicting glue records?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Thu Jan 8 07:57:09 UTC 2009

Milo Hyson wrote:
> If different registrars contain different host records for the same name
> server, what glue records are established in the root servers? Suppose
> two domains at different registrars both list ns1.mydomain.com as a
> nameserver but each gives a different IP. Are the results undefined?

I'm not sure what the theoretically "correct" way for the reg*'s to
resolve this is, but in practice you're right, the results are
undefined. If these are all hosts and records that you control, the
short answer is, "be careful not to do that."

If you've run into a situation where a hostname for a domain you now
control has stale glue your best point of contact is your registrar
for com/net/org/info/biz/us.

hth,

Doug