Named goes deaf

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Jan 7 18:50:20 UTC 2009

Hello, running BIND 9.4.2-P2 on OS X 10.5, this is just what comes
with OS X out of the box.  Today, my secondary NS provider could not
zone transfer.  I looked into it and could not telnet to port 53,
connection refused.

This happens quite often on my friends machine, but he runs OS X 10.3
and is using QuickDNS to manage his zones.  I figured it was just an
old OS issue.  I just restart named on his machine, and all is better.

In both cases, named was answering queries, I assume since those
happen on a UDP port?  How can one go deaf and not the other?  Any
idea why named goes deaf on me every now and then?

All I have to do is issue `rndc stop` and then launchd picks it up and
starts it again.  All is then well.

What is the correct way to restart named on OS X?  I can run `rndc
stop` but `rndc start` is a non known command.  The plist that is part
of launchd is just calling `/usr/sbin/named -f`

I could easily write a small script that tried to talk to port 53 tcp,
and then restart, but this seems to have plagued me in some way or
another since OS X 10.3 and I would like to get to the bottom of it.
Can someone explain to me if there are an other repercussions other
than my secondary will not be able to pull zones in this case?

Thanks
--
Scott