editing rc.d/named?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Jan 5 04:27:23 UTC 2009

bind user wrote:
> Hi All: I installed 9.6.0 alongside FreeBSD7's default 9.4.2, and it's
> working fine when i start it manually, but I'm having trouble getting it
> to start automatically. I edited etc/rc.d/named

Don't do that. :) The rc.d system is designed to be configured with
rc.conf. You probably want to do this:
grep named /etc/defaults/rc.conf >> /etc/rc.conf

Make sure that you only have one set of entries for named in
/etc/rc.conf and then make your changes there. You probably want to
uncomment the named_flags example for the -c option to named.

> to:
>
>     command="/usr/local/sbin/named -c /etc/namedb/named.conf"
> but when I restart the server, the default 9.4.2 install in
> /usr/sbin/named starts instead of the path to 9.6 above?

It's being overridden by rc.conf, which is how it's supposed to work.

hth,

Doug