installing 9.6 on freebsd7 configure problems

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Jan 5 04:23:21 UTC 2009

aklist wrote:
>> Did you install FreeBSD with named ? probably it's the reason why >
>> you can't start.
>> try do something like : find / -name 'named' -print
>> probably you'll see
>> /sbin/named         <- bind from FreeBSD
>> /usr/sbin/named         <- bind 9.6

That's not accurate. The FreeBSD base installs named into /usr/sbin.
The ports, and by default the ISC sources will install into
/usr/local/sbin.

> ugh...it looks like something's badly hosed...my symlinks are a mess:
>
> /namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/namedb/var/run/named
>

> what is the best way to remove everything and just start over?

Step one, back up all your configuration, zone, and other files.

Step two, the bind96 port has been committed, so you should probably
delete what you have done so far and use that.

You haven't given any details of your setup, but assuming that
/etc/namedb should be a symlink to /var/named/etc/namedb (which is the
default) you should probably just delete what's at /etc/namedb, make
sure everything is properly installed in /var/named/, edit
named_program /etc/rc.conf to point to /usr/local/sbin/named, and
start it using '/etc/rc.d/named start'. That way the proper symlinks,
directory permissions, etc. will be created for you.

When using bind from the ports I find it useful to also add the
following symlinks:
ln -s /etc/namedb/named.conf /usr/local/etc/named.conf
ln -s /etc/namedb/rndc.key /usr/local/etc/rndc.key

I also create usr/local/etc in the /var/named chroot directory and
create the same symlinks there as well. That way you don't have to
worry about in the chroot or out, and you can use the default
configuration from the ports (sysconfdir in /usr/local/etc) without
having to modify things more than once.

hth,

Doug