openssl alert when 9.8i installed?

Jeremy C. Reed Jeremy_Reed at isc.org
Fri Jan 2 23:10:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009, aklist wrote:

> Hi All: I downloaded 9.6.0 and ran
>
> ./configure --with-openssl
>
> and received the warning that I should have 9.8d or better installed. I went
> ahead and updated to 9.8i and confirmed that it was running, but when I run
> configure I still get the error?

Maybe you have multiple versions of OpenSSL installed.

Look at the configure output to see which one it was using.

You can use  --with-openssl=/path/to/openssl  if needed.

> Is the error "informational" or is there a problem? Just to test I went ahead
> and ran "make" and BIND successfully compiled...just wondering if there's a
> problem or not?

Both. It probably still works, but the warning should encourage you to use
the version with security fixes.

  Jeremy C. Reed
  ISC Sales & Support Engineer