rndc reconfig issue

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Tue Feb 24 19:20:52 UTC 2009

At Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:47:17 +0100,
"Ronni Jensen" <roj at mvb.dk> wrote:

> Every night I have a perl script generate a config file which contains
> approximately 5000 zones at the moment, but this will vary in size as
> zones are added/removed.
>
> However, when I put >>include "/etc/special-zones.conf";<< into
> named.conf and do "rndc reconfig", the named service is not answering
> DNS queries while it is loading the config, which takes a really long
> time :-/
>
> I was under the impression that "rndc reconfig" would not affect the
> service as such, but apparently it does.
>
> Does anyone have a qualified suggestion on how to reload configuration
> (load the new zones and unload the ones that are not in the config file
> anymore) without stalling the DNS service so it does not affect the user
> experience?

Could you tell us a bit more details?  How exactly long did it take to
load the new configuration?  Does that depend on specific add/remove
actions?  e.g., does that change if you only add a single zone without
any deletion, or does that happen even for such a simple, small
change?  Also, does that happen first time you reconfig the server, or
after several times of reconfig operation?

It would also be very helpful if you can file a bug report with the
set of your configuration so that we can reproduce it locally.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.