comp.protocols.dns.bind

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Mon Feb 23 17:27:42 UTC 2009

On Feb 20, 2009, at 1:05 AM, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Suppose a file named file.pdf stored in the following web location:
>
> http://some_domain/path/to/file.pdf
>
> Where, the *some_domain* is a name-based virtual host.  In this case,
> is it possible to set a ddns hostname, say through
> http://www.changeip.net/, without using *some_domain* itself,  to
> access this file?

The domain name in the browser is the domain name presented to the web
server in the host header field. That name must resolve, somehow, to
the IP address of the server. That can be either with an address
record of that name or a CNAME record of that name, referring to
another name that resolves to the correct address.

Without knowing your intent, I don't think this list can be any more
helpful than that.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice