Zone serial not being updated in statistics-channel view of zone

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Feb 21 18:05:51 UTC 2009

I have a dynamically updated zone, dynamic.local.test, on my workstation
testbed (BIND 9.6.0-P1, Solaris 10_x86) which has "zone-statistics yes"
set. Viewing the statistics at http://localhost:8053 I see under
"Zones for View _default"

dynamic.local.test/IN	IN	2008093007   ...
                                ^^^^^^^^^^

But the current SOA serial is actually

$ dig +short soa dynamic.local.test
localhost. root.localhost. 2009022003 21600 3600 864000 10800
                           ^^^^^^^^^^

It seems that the serial displayed via the statistics channel is stuck
at the value when BIND loaded it from the master file at startup time.
The zone has been updated several times since then, both via nsupdate
and by internal re-signing operations.

The current SOA serials of slaved zones are displayed correctly, whether
they have have been updated by IXFRs or AXFRs.

Have I found a bug? Do others see the same effect?

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk