[OT] Is it possible to set a ddns hostname to access a name-based virtual host?

hongyi.zhao at gmail.com hongyi.zhao at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 03:16:13 UTC 2009

On Saturday, February 21, 2009 at 0:31, milli at acmeps.com wrote:
> This is actually off topic for BIND-users...

> hongyi.zhao at gmail.com wrote:
>> On Friday, February 20, 2009 at 19:51, serge.fonville at gmail.com wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>
>>> Is it possible to set a ddns hostname, say through
>>> http://www.changeip.net/ , without using *some_domain* itself, to
>>> access this file?
>>
>>> Not entirely sure what you are actually trying to achieve.
>>> Could you provide a concrete example of the situations you are trying to achieve?
>>
>> Let me give an example to illustrate my problem:
>>
>> In the following url, the prola.aps.org is a name-based  virtual host:
>>
>> http://prola.aps.org/pdf/PRB/v1/i1/p1_1
>>
>> On  the other hand, my institute has subscribed to prola and many other
>> journals, so I want to use some self-made and easy-to-memory hostnames for
>> each  of them.  For example, I want to use the following url to access
>> the above one:
>>
>> http://myprola.myddns.org/pdf/PRB/v1/i1/p1_1

> I fail to see how the later is more "easy-to-memory" than the former, but...

I just take one for example, in my case, I've dozens of such hostnames
and,  if  can,  I'll make all of them have the same latter part, i.e.,
.myddns.org, thus "easy-to-memory".

>> Is this possible?
>>

> Generally, no.  Virtual hosting involves setting, in almost all cases, a
> unique document root for each virtual host.  If you reference a file or
> location via a URI that uses a different hostname, then it either
> matches a different virtual host, or matches the default virtual host,
> but in either case the document root is almost certainly different, and
> thus the relative path (/pdf/PRB/v1/i1/P1_1 in your case) almost certain
> does not translate to the correct absolute path to get the right file or
> get you to the right generator, whatever the location references and/or
> triggers to send back content.

> You *must* reference the location using the same URI if you expect to
> see the same expected results.

Thanks  for  your  detailed  explanations.  Another issue: what do you
mean by saying URI?  What's the differences between URI and URL?

> Regards,
> Mike

> PS:  There are other maintenance problems with your approach too, but

What for example?

> you avoid those by just not even trying to do what you asked.

Regards,
--
Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao at gmail.com>
Xinjiang Technical Institute of Physics and Chemistry