query an external nameserver doubt

Nuno Ribeiro nribeiro82 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 12:26:19 UTC 2009

Here is an example:

There is a CNAME Record "www.example.test.com CNAME ts.example.test2.com" in
the "example.test.com" zone, which my nameserver is not authoritive. My name
server is authoritive for "example.test2.com" zone.

I receive a A query for "www.example.test.com". I send this query to
external nameservers and discover the CNAME record target is in my zone. Is
this possible?

Best Regards,

NR

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 1:29 AM, Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> In article <gnhic8$o9m$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
>  Nuno Ribeiro <nribeiro82 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to send a query to a external nameserver that can be a
> CNAME
> > for a record located in other nameserver zone where we are authoritive?
>
> It's hard to parse this. Could you give an example of what you're asking
> about?
>
> --
> Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
> Arlington, MA