Basic DNS Server Setup

Jeremy C. Reed Jeremy_Reed at isc.org
Wed Feb 18 14:07:42 UTC 2009

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009, atbigelow wrote:

> After entering input mode for nslookup:
>
>     mydomain.com
>
> Says it can't find mydomain.com: REFUSED. Looking into /var/log/syslog
> I find numerous SERVFAIL and REFUSED RCODEs.

And what did named log about attempting to load that zone?

Maybe your named is ran in a chroot environment and can't even read your
/etc/bind/zones/ ??

> I ran named-checkzone mydomain.com /etc/bind/zones/mydomain.com.zone
> and it says everything is OK, as did named-checkconf.

That does not look correct. In your named.conf.local output you showed
that the origin is "202.201.200.in-addr.arpa" for the
"/etc/bind/zones/mydomain.com.zone" file. (I assume you made up fake names
for your email -- misleading makes it harder to troubleshooting and
encourages many to not even attempt to assist.)