Catch ALL Setup

Sven Eschenberg sven at whgl.uni-frankfurt.de
Wed Feb 18 04:28:10 UTC 2009

Dear list,

I tried googling about a Catch-All setup for a DNS, with little success.
I tried messing around with some zone/hint files in an isolated setup,
but without any success.

What I am trying to achieve is the following:

No matter which host/name is looked up, the DNS should spit out the same
IP address. The intention is to bring the users to a specific
webserver/webpage, not matter what web page the intend to surf to, for
the easiness of setting up their connection. The basic idea is,
unauthenticated clients will be put in an isolated network, users then
pop up their web browser, will land on a specific webpage with
instructions on which steps they need to take, to get proper access.

I tried to create a "*" zone, which seems to be ignored by bind, or
rather bind doesn't like the contents of the zone file.

I'd appreciate any pointer to some information, how I can tweak bind to
do such a thing.

With best regards

-Sven