Case For Microsoft DNS v. BIND 9 - Or Best Practices For Coexisting

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Sun Feb 8 22:25:55 UTC 2009

This is getting a bit off topic, but non administrators can by default add a limited number of machines to a domain also.

On topic, I think what they are referring to is simple dynamic updates. For this I would recommend keeping MS DNS for the "internal" DNS. The reason for this is that it is based on Active Directory's multi-master replication which allows any authoritative DNS server to update the DNS record from a client.

We always use MS DNS for AD domains and use BIND for all external lookups. Way fewer headaches and it "just works".

-Vinny