Inconsistent failure to resolve

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 Jinmei_Tatuya at isc.org
Thu Feb 5 22:23:42 UTC 2009

At Thu, 05 Feb 2009 12:13:15 -0500,
David Ford <david at blue-labs.org> wrote:

> The hostname is: emailimage2.howtoburndvd.net
>
> I have two nameservers running 9.6.0-p1.  If I query ns{1,2}.linkyo.com
> directly I always get an answer.  If I use my own nameservers I get
> mostly failures of NXDOMAIN of linkyo.net or SERVFAIL for the hostname.
>
> DNS testers yield similar but without explanation.  Would someone care
> to explore and explain?

If you can easily reproduce the problem (I guess so according to the
above), an experimental patch to diagnose such errors may help.  It
will be available in the next versions of BIND9 (9.6.1 etc), but if
you're willing to test it, please let me know.  I'll send a diff to
you.

BTW, I have no problem in resolving the name in question.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.