Workaround for 'rndc stop' ?

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Dec 14 01:13:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009, kalpesh varyani wrote:

> Hi all,
>        Can anyone please tell me is there any other command by which i can
> stop the name-server without loosing the recent updates. I know that I can
> do this by issuing 'rndc stop' but for some reason I am not able to .

Using rndc is essentially a requirement in BIND 9, so we should really
figure out where this is going wrong for you. Try running 'rndc status'
and tell us what you see.

Also, if you have any rndc.conf or rndc.key files in the directory where
named.conf is located, try moving them out of the way and running
'rndc-confgen -a -b256' then try 'rndc status' again.

Doug