Bind slave to Windows 2008 AD/DNS

Jukka Pakkanen jukka.pakkanen at qnet.fi
Mon Dec 7 19:47:54 UTC 2009

I have out Bind servers running as slaves to Windows 2008 DNS server,
and it's working fine as far as I can see (except that the slaves after
a period of times lose the data and never update it unless restart the
Bind process, but that's another matter) but browsing the web I noticed
there should be 6 zones I need to slave to have it correctly:

 >What zones are you slaving on your BIND server? There should be six:
 >
 >DomainDNSZones.example.com
 >ForestDNSZones.example.com
 >_msdcs.example.com
 >_sites.example.com
 >_tcp.example.com
 >_udp.example.com
 >
 >If you have these six zones slaved on your BIND server, and these
zones are being transferred successfully, then there should be no
problems. "

What exactly does this mean?  I only have this:

zone "company.local" {
    type slave;
    file "company.local.cache";
    masters { 62.x.x.x; };
};

Should I instead have these six zones in the named.conf, like:

zone "DomainDNSZones.company.local" {
    type slave;
    file "domaindnszones.company.local.cache";
    masters { 62.x.x.x; };
};

zone "ForestDNSZones.company.local" {
    type slave;
    file "forestdnszones.company.local.cache";
    masters { 62.x.x.x; };
};

zone "_msdcs.company.local" {
    type slave;