Punycode & nslookup

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Fri Dec 4 17:26:48 UTC 2009

On Dec 4, 2009, at 7:23 AM, Kai Szymanski wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> my "problem" is: I can't test the zone with nslookup (only when i use the puny-encoded domainname).

nslookup will only understand IDN if BIND is compiled with that option in the ./configure step.

> Also other tools who uses dns to resolv the entered domainname (like ping www.umlauttestäöü.de) did'nt work.

Other CLI tools will not work.

> So i thought that
>
> 1. The User enters a url with Umlauts in browser
> 2. Browser examine url, "see" that there is umlaut in the domainname, an encoded it (internal, so the user did'nt see it) to puny code and ask the default nameserver for the domainname in punycode

The browser has to understand IDN. Most current browsers do, including (I believe) IE 7 and later, Firefox 2 and later, and Safari 3 and later.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice