parent dns answers the ARR of child dns

Tech W. techwww at yahoo.com.cn
Fri Dec 4 02:06:39 UTC 2009

--- On Fri, 4/12/09, Kevin Darcy <kcd at chrysler.com> wrote:

> From: Kevin Darcy <kcd at chrysler.com>
> Subject: Re: parent dns answers the ARR of child dns
> To: bind-users at lists.isc.org
> Not only that, but DNS.gduf.edu.cn is
> performing recursion, while not
> setting RA in, and not copying RD into, the header of the
> response.
>
> % dig www.smartip.gduf.edu.cn. @DNS.gduf.edu.cn
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.0 <<>>
> www.smartip.gduf.edu.cn. @DNS.gduf.edu.cn
> ;; global options: printcmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR,
> id: 593
> ;; flags: qr aa; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 1,
> ADDITIONAL: 0
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;www.smartip.gduf.edu.cn. IN A
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> www.smartip.gduf.edu.cn. 30 IN A 218.192.12.3
> www.smartip.gduf.edu.cn. 30 IN A 218.192.12.4
> www.smartip.gduf.edu.cn. 30 IN A 218.192.12.10
>
> I suspect this is YABDLBD (Yet Another Brain-Damaged
> Load-Balancer
> Device). Or a defective DNS proxy.

Thanks for your answers.
But DNS.gduf.edu.cn is a Windows DNS Server running on MS Advanced Server,
not a proxy or load-balancer.

> While the cache is populated with these records, even
> *non-recursive*
> queries will be given this answer directly, instead of a
> referral. Once
> the records time out, referrals are given again.

Yes I am also confused by this behavior.
So do you have any suggestion how to resolve it?
I want, any query to the subzone should be answered by subzone's NS server, not by the parent one.

Thanks again.
Regards.