Disable Refused answer

Bill Larson wllarso at swcp.com
Thu Dec 3 21:53:23 UTC 2009

Chris Buxton <cbuxton at menandmice.com> said:

> There is no definitive list of the options that can or can not be used in
a view. Likewise, the description of the blackhole statement makes no
mention of the fact that it's not valid inside a view.

There is the "doc/misc/options" file in the BIND sources that lists the many
possible items that can be inside a "view", along with
the "options", "server", "zone", etc.

There is the "doc/misc/options" file in the BIND sources that lists the many
possible configuration items available and what section of the configuration
that can be used.  The "view" section can include many different items,
but "blackhole" isn't one of them.

This also identifies "blackhole" as only being part of the "options"
clause.  Also, the ARM mentions "blackhole" as part of the "options" section
and not in the "view" section.

> So, to the original poster, we're back to "it can't be done with BIND
configuration." Of course, you could hack the BIND source code...

Yes, we are back to that.  Another "can't get there from here".

Then again, I've never been sure what the original requester was asking
for.  If he didn't want to give an answer out to someone on a particular
network, then the "blackhole" option would seem to be a perfect solution in
the first place.

Thanks for your help on this list,

Bill Larson