Invalid lan. and local. TLDs

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sun Aug 30 21:44:35 UTC 2009

In message <1251578984.4460.6.camel at jhorne.homelinux.net>, John Horne writes:
> On Sat, 2009-08-29 at 13:24 +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:

> > > window=604800&plot=qtype_vs_invalid_tld&server=L-root ) of queried invalid
> > > TLDs, as at the moment we have no 'local.' or 'lan.' zones configured.
> > > Hence, any such queries from us go out to the Internet (sorry).

> > Or one can just configure your recursive server as a stealth slave
> > of the root zone.   You make a qery every hour or so and transfer
> > it twice a day.
> >
> Many thanks for this. An interesting solution! I notice that this very
> question came up in 2004
> (https://lists.isc.org/pipermail/bind-users/2004-December/054202.html),
>
> and note the concerns about NOTIFY.

You can configure servers not to send notify and the roots can
easily absorb the notify load if there is misconfuration.  If this
was being done by default NOTIFY shouldn't be a issue, as the vendors
would turn non-explicit notify off as that would be part of a RFC
that recommends this.

> I am first going to install dnstop to see exactly what is going on.

Always a good idea to have data.