approach on parsing the query-log file

Gregory Hicks ghicks at hicks-net.net
Tue Apr 28 15:31:20 UTC 2009

> From: Jonathan Petersson <jpetersson at garnser.se>
> Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 08:13:25 -0700
> Subject: Re: approach on parsing the query-log file
> To: Niall.oReilly at ucd.ie
> Cc: Bind Mailing <bind-users at lists.isc.org>
>
> Yeah I've thought about using tail but I'm not sure how locking would
> be managed when logrotate kicks in, does anyone know?

I use "tail -f <log-file>"

When the log rotates, the tail is still running against the rotated
file.  I have to manually change to the current file. ("^C-!!" works)

A better way to do it might be to have the 'logfile' be a pipe and have
the parsing intelligence on the other side of the pipe.  Have the log
rotation "smarts" be on the other side of the pipe also.  (At one $JOB,
I used this technique to separate out different log messages from
simultaneously running SMTP processes.)

Regards,
GRegory Hicks