How to forward domain totally not using CNAME?

Halassy Zoltán zhalassy at loginet.hu
Tue Apr 28 12:04:27 UTC 2009

> I would like to CNAME like below.
>
> example.com.              IN CNAME        example2.com.
>

> But I know that this is wrong.
> then, is there any way or solution to solve this problem?
>

> I searched and found that below is a similar solution.
>

> *                 IN CNAME        example2.com.
>
> but in this case, only xxxx.example.com works well
> and example.com doesn't work well.

Usually i create one zone file like this:

$TTL 1W
@       IN      SOA     ns1.example.com. hostmaster.example.com.  (
                                       2009012001 ; Serial
                                       86400      ; Refresh
                                       7200       ; Retry
                                       3600000    ; Expire - 1 week
                                       3600  )    ; Minimum
@               IN      NS      ns1.example.com.
@               IN      NS      ns2.example.com.
@               IN      A       192.168.2.1
@               IN      MX      10 mail.example.com.
www             IN      A	192.168.2.1

Then i use this single file in the master named.conf for multiple zones:

zone "example1.com" IN {
         type master;
         file "pri/example.zone";
         allow-update { none; };
         notify yes;
};

zone "example2.com" IN {
         type master;
         file "pri/example.zone";
         allow-update { none; };
         notify yes;
};

Technically, you have to modify only one zone file, and issuing an "rndc
reload" after serial change every zone will be updated, also on the
slave servers.