about $GENERATE Directive

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 21 14:17:50 UTC 2009

On Apr 21 2009, Peter Laws wrote:

>刘强 wrote:
>> hi,
>>   I want to know if the $GENERATE Directive  support type NAPTR.
>>   You know,type NAPTR is used to ENUM dns. There are large amount of
>> NAPTR resource records in ENUM dns;and the NAPTR resource records are
>> very similar.It is great if the $GENERATE Directive  support type NAPTR!!!
>
>As far as I know, $GENERATE supports only A, PTR, CNAME.

>From the ARM:

[...]
 type  At present the only supported types are PTR, CNAME, DNAME, A, AAAA and NS.
 rhs   rhs is a domain name. It is processed similarly to lhs.

Of course, that's somewhat inconsistent: since when has the rdata part
of an A or AAAA record been a "domain name"?

The real restriction seems to be that the rdata consists of a single
lexical item.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk