bind9: unknown RR type, unknown class/type errors

Frank Moeller frank at nx01.de
Tue Apr 14 14:01:35 UTC 2009

Hello All,

I have a little problem while setting up my DNS.

In my LAN I want to use the local domain go.wiki. So I make the following
settings to the bind9 on my ubuntu server (hardy):

named.conf:
=======
include "/etc/bind/named.conf.options";

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "/etc/bind/db.root";
};

zone "localhost" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/db.local";
};

zone "127.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/db.127";
};

zone "0.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/db.0";
};

zone "255.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/db.255";
};

include "/etc/bind/named.conf.local";

named.conf.options:
============
options {
        directory "/var/cache/bind";

        auth-nxdomain no;    # conform to RFC1035
        listen-on-v6 { any; };
};

named.conf.local:
==========
zone "go.wiki" IN {
        type master;
        file "/etc/bind/db.go.wiki";
};

/etc/bind/db.go.wiki:
============
$ORIGIN go.wiki.
$TTL 1D
@     IN SOA   localhost. hostmaster. (
                        200405191 ; serial
                        8H        ; refresh
                        4H        ; retry
                        4W        ; expire
                        1D )      ; minimum
              IN  NS      localhost.
              IN  A       10.3.64.39

After restarting bind9 I receive the following message in the daemon.log:

Apr 14 15:51:34 ingobert named[14090]: /etc/bind/db.go.wiki:1: unknown RR
type 'go.wiki.'
Apr 14 15:51:34 ingobert named[14090]: zone go.wiki/IN: loading from master
file /etc/bind/db.go.wiki failed: unknown class/type

Any idea what's going wrong? Are there any limitations to zone or domain
names?
Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Frank