53/TCP port unresponsive

Deslatte, Curtis Curtis.Deslatte at acs-inc.com
Wed Apr 8 09:17:24 UTC 2009

This problem is very very similar to the one I posted a couple of months
ago on the list.

Since then I have found that the couple of servers where this was
frequently occurring, were misconfigured.

(I admit it, NOT proudly though; I'm only "proud" anymore on Saturday
afternoons, once I've caught up on my sleep from the previous week, and
then just barely...)

The misconfiguration was related to the use of a second master that
another admin had removed and I had not caught the deferrals that were
piling up.  I had thought that each zone was going to "choose" the first
master listed, in my case the local primary, the "failover" was listed
second.  It would appear that is not always the case as the master which
had been removed was the second one listed in the "master ACL" that was
being referenced by many of the PTR zones being differed!

I had been troubleshooting another issue and noticed deferrals logging
fairly regularly.  I started looking into the deferred zones (i.e.
allowed myself to be rabbit trailed) and found that the zones being
deferred, were being sought out at the second listed master, not the
first where I could actually pull any of the zones manually.

In any case, I edited the master ACL, removing the MIA server, and
zapped it.  The deferrals stopped (naturally) as the remaining master,
the primary, was working correctly.

I haven't experienced a "TCP seizure" since....

I now think...  The cyclic nature of the seizures was related to the
backing up of deferrals, perhaps a constrained resource under the hood
somewhere?  I don't know that for a fact though.

A would assume it's going to be a different cycle based on the
differences between configurations (zones, or whatever) and servers
where the presumed resource is concerned.  So manifestations would be
significantly different from victim to victim.  If it's actually a
resource, application or server, it may actually manifest with totally
different symptoms.

This was 9.5.0-P1, BTW.

Thanks,
CJD