ip forwarding DNS 9.6.0

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Apr 7 23:44:41 UTC 2009

In message <D7656C59-094F-4B37-B3CC-4496DB3AFB38 at cs.moravian.edu>, myron writes:
> I started reading up on Kirk's suggestions of the allow-*** settings.
> In the global options level
> I put
> options {
>          directory       "/etc/dns";
>          allow-query-cache { any; };
>          allow-query { any; };
>          auth-nxdomain   yes;
> };
>
> and that definitely worked. By no means do I understand the paragraph
> below from the README.
> I need to mull over it for a while and determine where the options
> should go, whether globally or in a view
> and whether "any" is the right setting.

	Basically there are people using recursive DNS servers as
	amplifiers in DoS attacks by sending forged UDP queries.
	By restricting who can get access to the cache you reduce
	the effect of such queries to just anonymising the original
	query source.

	The defaults were changed so that only locally connected
	nets get recursive service and access to the cache.  This
	default is right for a large majority of the users of named.
	You should expand allow-query-cache to include all the
	networks you want to offer recursive service to.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org