rdataset.c:652: REQUIRE(dbp != ((void *)0) && *dbp == ((void *)0)) failed

Howard Wilkinson howard at cohtech.com
Tue Apr 7 16:44:42 UTC 2009

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 wrote:
> At Tue, 07 Apr 2009 07:54:38 +0100,
> Howard Wilkinson <howard at cohtech.com> wrote:
>

>> We have had a failure of one of our BIND installations this morning. The
>> failure happened at 01:51:45 BST on a machine that was effectively idle
>> at the time.
>>
>> The previous messages logged by 'named' were 30 seconds before the crash
>> and were a zone transfer from a Microsoft 2003 DNS server of an AD
>> integrated zone.
>>
>> I can provide config files if they are useful. The version of BIND is a
>> stock build from Fedora 9 - bind-9.5.1-2.P2.fc9.i386.
>>

> If named dumped a core, could you show us its stack trace?

Sorry but we do not get core dumps on our systems! I have 4 other
instances of named running and
they have not crashed so it might be a hardware problem. But I am
suspicious as this box is running
everything else properly.

Is there anything I can switch on in the logs that might shed more light
if it happens again.

For your information, the server was still running and servicing UDP
traffic only the TCP side failed and
the crash seems to have happened in a child process.