calculate request performance

Chris Buxton cbuxton at menandmice.com
Fri Apr 3 16:47:03 UTC 2009

On Apr 3, 2009, at 2:43 AM, Jeff Pang wrote:
> I have a bind server with common installtion (not with DLZ etc).
> CPU for this server box is 2.0G (one core), memory is 1G DDR2, OS is
> Linux, named version is 9.6.0-P1.
> How many requests per second can bind handle under this hardware
> environment?
> (or please tell me how to calculate request performance of it).

There are way too many variables to answer this, and there is no hard
and fast calculation to be made. The only way to find out is an
empirical test. Load it up with realistic data and then use something
like dnsperf to throw representative query traffic at it.

Note that the choice of recursive queries vs iterative queries will
make a huge difference in your results.

Some of the variables left unanswered:

- Recursive or iterative queries, or a combination?
- Network speed, latency, and traffic level
- CPU type (i.e. an Intel Pentium 4 is much more efficient per clock
cycle than a Via C3)
- Exact memory speed, bandwidth, and latency
- System tuning

And even if you could quantify all of this somehow, there's still no
calculation that I know of to turn that into any kind of realistic
"queries/sec" value.

Chris Buxton
Professional Services
Men & Mice