name server zone list

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 3 14:55:35 UTC 2009

On Apr 3 2009, Sandy Mackenzie wrote:

>I want to be able to produce a simple list of the zones on my DNS servers.
>Is there anyway to do this with dig or any other tool?

This one is hardy perennial, of course, but I've been working on an
"index zone" in a certain local DNS context recently, and thinking
how convenient it would have been if BIND had provided one for me
(under class CHAOS, name "zones.bind" or something along those lines).
I wonder whether this is on ISC's wish-list, and if so, how far down ...

Of course, it would have to be disabled by default, or I can imagine
people getting quite upset about the security implications.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk