Bind named to 0.0.0.0 (INADDR_ANY)

Richard Wall richard.wall at appliansys.com
Tue Sep 30 17:28:17 UTC 2008

2008/9/30 Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org>:
> In message <cbf1a1340809300721j468531d5sa5da8bedb3fff47e at mail.gmail.com>, "Rich
> ard Wall" writes:
<snip>
>> I've tried:
>> listen-on { 0.0.0.0; };
>        Which is "listen-on { 0.0.0.0/32; };" which won't match any
>        interface's address.

Hi Mark,

Understood.

<snip>
>> listen-on { any; };
>> listen-on { localhost; };
>> listen-on { localnets; };
>> These explicitly bind named to the configured local IP addresses.
>> Is there another way to do this?
>
>        No. Named listens on individual interfaces so that the reply
>        traffic comes from the correct address.

Okay, thanks for the prompt response. We were looking for a convenient
way to use multiple source and destination addresses with dns views,
but we can just explicitly configure all the IPs that we're going to
use.

Out of interest, how do other services get round this? For example I
notice that ntpd is listening on IPv4 0.0.0.0:123; doesn't it have the
same issue?

-RichardW.
--
Richard Wall