subdomain handling (own DNS and two different ISPs)

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Mon Sep 22 21:38:24 UTC 2008

Michelle Konzack wrote:
> *       Do not Cc: me, because I READ THIS LIST, if I write here       *
> *    Keine Cc: am mich, ich LESE DIESE LISTE wenn ich hier schreibe    *
> Hello,
>
> I have a domain with a bunch of subdomains where each subdomain has its
> own ZONE and ich I manage this with my own DNS servers  (completly  28)
> all is working fine.
>
> Now I take my new DOMAIN <tamay-dogan.net> as an example.
>
> I have registered the Domain in germany and I have a Hosting provider in
> Germany.  Now I have my SUBDOMAIN <private.tamay-dogan.net> which is  my
> @home Network using SDSL and 16 fixed IP addresses.  Also I have another
> SUBDOMAIN <debian.tamay-dogan.net> which will be hosted in  swiss  where
> and I 64 fixed IP addresses.  And last  not  least  the  biggest  killer
> <cybercenter.tamay-dogan.net> where the (Mail) servers  are  distributed
> over 18 countries worldwide.
>
> Currently I can access the SUBDOMAINS using DynDNS (the REAL FQDN  is  a
> CNAME at my german ISP) and pointing to the DynDNS IP...  but this setup
> does not work for the Mailservers from which I have many!
>
> Since I want to use my own independant DNS servers, WHERE each  SUDOMAIN
> will have at least two pysical independant DNS servers, how must I setup
> this?

Depends on where you want to make changes to the zone. If you want to
make changes centrally, then all of the masters for the various subzones
will be central (perhaps on the same machine), and everyone else is a slave.

If you want to distribute the update capability, then the masters will
be on different servers and/or in different locations.

Either way, you need to delegate the subzones from the parent zone
(tamay-dogan.net).

Add as many slaves as you want to provide the redundancy that you need,
and then make sure to add those slaves to the NS records in the
delegation and also to the NS records at the apexes of the respective
subzones.

                                 - Kevin