nameserver name

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Sep 22 13:46:05 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 02:29:32PM +0100,
 Luis Silva <luisfilsilva at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 15 lines which said:

> I noticed that is it possible to name the Name Server without not
> considering the name of the zone.

Yes.

> But, what happen if the name server is only authoritive for the
> first zone?

No problem and it is even a simpler case, since you do not have to
publish glue.

> what happen if a client contacts directly a name server from the
> "isi.edu." zone with the query "A" "c.isi.edu.". This can happen
> right?

Yes, and there is no problem:

% dig @ns.east.isi.edu A c.isi.edu.

; <<>> DiG 9.5.0-P2 <<>> @ns.east.isi.edu A c.isi.edu
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:

(Names have changed since the RFC was published.)