Multiple BIND ** Recommendation**

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Thu Sep 18 18:19:37 UTC 2008

Hi Beavis,

I am doing exactly that and I did have problems :)

The debian /etc/init.d does not work for me.

For the moment I do start my nameds from /home like

    named -u bindusr9 -c binduser9/named.conf -g

When you see it working drop the "-g".

in my named.conf I have something like

options {
  directory "/home/binocle";
  pid-file "/home/binocle/named.pid";
  dump-file "/home/binocle/named_dump.db";
  statistics-file "/home/binocle/named.stats";
  query-source address * port 2233;
  listen-on port 53 { 7.19.30.36 };
  listen-on port 12453 { 7.19.30.36 };
  listen-on-v6 { none; };
  allow-query { any; };
  allow-recursion { none; };
  allow-notify { none; };
  blackhole { bogon; };
  lame-ttl 1800;
  max-ncache-ttl 600;
  recursive-clients 127;
};

bad:  query-source address * port 2233;

I am running more than one resolver too. That is why
I have to keep their ports on different addresses.
If you dont resolve then that is not a problem except ...

listen-on port 53 { 7.19.30.36 };
listen-on port 12453 { 7.19.30.36 };

normally I have only one of these - you can have both.

I am running a hidden master on port 12353.
The ouside sees only my slave on port 53.

When I am editing I am editing my hidden master only.

I have too many binds running that is why I dont fool
around with rndc and keys. I kill whatever is inside

/home/binocle/named.pid

and I restart the master with

    named -u bindusr9 -c binduser9/named.conf -g

to see if it complains.

I kill it with ^c and start it again with

    named -u bindusr9 -c binduser9/named.conf

if it is working.

I can

    dig -p 12453 -t any hammer.com @7.19.30.36

to see if it does what I want.

My clients dont see a break because my slave keeps
running and takes the new data when it has time to.

The only critical moment is when I edit the

    /home/binocle/named.conf

but again I have to do that on the master as well
and cut + paste is my friend.

Cheers
Peter and Karin

--