timestamp output on rnds stats output, GRRR!

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Thu Sep 18 17:59:56 UTC 2008

On 18-Sep-2008, at 13:47 , Jeff A. Earickson wrote:

> Yo Bind Developers,
>
> Using Bind 9.5.0-P2.  Why, oh why, does "rndc stats" give timestamp
> information in UNIX epoch seconds??!!  Why can't ns_stats_dump() in
> bin/named/statschannel.c do a call to localtime() or gmtime() and
> convert the UNIX epoch into a human-readable time?

As another user of BIND I would say, "because epoch seconds are more
easily manipulated."

If it dumped a human readable timestamp, then in order to manipulate
that in some way I'd need to write or find some utility that could
convert it.  With epoch seconds, I can use that timestamp in any
format I like with my own call to strftime().